Affiliated Distributors Memorializes Former VP Mechlin

AD Industrial Supply Division President Jack Templin shares his In Memorium letter of recently passed Senior Vice President Stuart Mechlin, who was employeed by AD for 12 years, retiring as Senior Vice President in 2011.

Id 1397 Affiliateddistributors 2

Stuart MechlinOn Nov. 1st, 2014, our dear friend Stuart Mechlin lost his battle with cancer.

Stu’s contributions while at AD were numerous and he set the table for much of the success we have enjoyed. He had a significant impact on not only our Suppliers and Affiliates, but also our internal staff.

I first met Stu when I was an AD Supplier. As I think back to my dealings with Stu, one of the things I remember the most is his enthusiasm for AD’s mission and its members. Even after Stu left AD, he often “checked in” to see how we were doing and how he could be of assistance, even in the midst of his adversity, he maintained the most incredible positive attitude.

In June of 2014, after Stu found out he was going to fight the battle with cancer for a fourth time, he was asked to be a guest blogger on www.rundamentalists.com, to write a few words about his survivor mindset and the attitude he maintained. Stu wrote the following:

“Accept that life gave you some bum cards on a bad day. Work on stuff that you can influence even if it only for your wellbeing. Life is short. I have always taught others that on a good day they control just 10 percent of what is going on. The other 90 percent is totally random.”

Stu mentions that during this fight, he learned to treat every day as a gift, and he also learned what was truly important in life.

In 2011 on the 30th anniversary of Affiliated Distributors (AD), Stu Mechlin retired from his twelve years of service to the Industrial Supply Division of AD. That year, Stu was awarded the prestigious AD MVP Award.

Bill Weisberg, AD’s Chairman and CEO, presented Stu with the MVP award and praised him for his accomplishments at AD, and as a man. During Stu’s tenure, “the amount of business done between the members and suppliers has gone up 315 percent. But the numbers don’t tell half the story. Stu Mechlin is a wonderful individual, he is an inspiration to so many. Stu Mechlin is unique in the passion, in the enthusiasm, the warmth. You have meant so much to so many people, in so many ways, beyond business. You have meant so much to all of us and you will truly be missed my friend.”

To watch Stu accept the AD MVP award and talk about what this industry meant to him, and what he believed was the most important part of life, please take a moment to watch this video.

For those of us who knew Stu personally and professionally, we also knew that after the love he had for his family, his second love in life was cycling. His greatest cycling accomplishment was cycling the toughest one-day race: the Paris-Roubaix, something not many people can say they have accomplished.

Stu was an influencer, educator and a mentor. He always helped others and wanted everyone to succeed. Even during the toughest time of his life, he always said, “Whatever happens…you never give up.” He will be truly missed.

Stu is survived by his wife Ellen and their two sons, Mark and Alexander. In lieu of flowers, the Mechlin family asks that donations may be made in his memory to the American Cancer Society, www.cancer.org, or the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society at www.lls.org.

Sincerely,

Jack Templin

President, Industrial Supply Division

More in Associations