Since 1958, CRC Industries, Inc. (CRC) has aspired to become the leading manufacturer of specialty chemicals used in general maintenance and repair products. Driven by an entrepreneurial spirit, CRC stands for innovation, quality and a commitment to serving the needs of the end-user. The company's growth and international scope are a tribute to the men and women whose vision and hard work have made CRC a success. From the company's beginning in a Pennsylvania garage to its current presence in 120 countries, the CRC story is one that reaches around the world and into the future.
The history of CRC began in the spring of 1958. Charles J. Webb II, a successful entrepreneur in the wool industry, was interested in diversifying his business. He became aware of a new chemical anti-corrosion product being marketed by a West Coast company and was intrigued by its sales potential. He traveled to California and made a verbal agreement to distribute the product east of the Mississippi and in Europe in exchange for equity in the company. The West Coast company later decided to dissolve the agreement, and their president, who was the product's inventor, Norman Larsen, left the company because of this conflict.
Webb offered Larsen the opportunity to improve the product and, if successful, join forces with him in establishing a competing organization. Webb moved him to Philadelphia, set up a temporary laboratory, and gave Larsen until September to perfect his improved product. If tests in September indicated that the product was improved and ready to manufacture, they would discuss a more permanent arrangement. Larsen agreed.
By Labor Day Larsen had perfected the product by making it less flammable and more corrosion resistant, and on October 6, 1958, the company was formalized as a Pennsylvania corporation called Corrosion Reaction Consultants, Inc.
For the first few years the company sold one product - CRC Corrosion Inhibitor. As its name suggests, the product was a multi-purpose lubricant used to suppress corrosion in mechanical and electrical machinery. The company's manufacturing plant was a garage, and the product's key ingredients were put together in 55-gallon drums.
In April 1974, CRC purchased and moved into a larger building in Warminster, Pennsylvania, which would ultimately become the corporate headquarters, as well as the company's largest manufacturing plant. Shortly after the move to Dresher in 1963, CRC decided to specialize by developing products that target specific markets. The original product, 5-56®, was reformulated, and alternatives were developed that satisfied specific needs for the automotive, industrial, electrical, marine and aviation markets.
As early as 1961, CRC began working with distributors in Europe, and in 1967 CRC Chemicals Europe was incorporated in Brussels, Belgium. Originally, product concentrate was imported from America. It was mixed and filled locally at a custom filler.
By 1969 business had grown, and the operation moved to a modern, leased facility. A few more employees were added, and mixing tanks were installed. In 1971 product concentrates were mixed on site. In 1974 aerosol filling began on a small scale with the installation of a semi-automated production line.
In 1975 a manufacturing plant was built in Zele, Belgium. This facility was designed to manufacture nearly all of the same products that are manufactured in the U.S., with the range defined by local customer requirements. By 1977 volume had increased significantly, and it became practical to install the equipment needed to do all aerosol filling automatically on site.
Throughout the late seventies and eighties, CRC Chemicals Europe expanded its operations throughout Europe by establishing a mix of subsidiaries and distributors.
By the 1990s, CRC was sold in more than 120 countries. In 1994 CRC further extended its international presence by establishing a fourth operating unit in Asia.
The company today maintains four independent operating groups headquartered in the United States, Australia, Europe and Asia. Each operating group provides manufacturing and distribution centers to serve local markets.
The acquisition of Siloo® in 1983 enabled CRC to offer its customers a significant number of new products. Founded in 1935, Siloo® was responsible for producing the first commercially available packaged oil additive. Over the years the company introduced such products as Siloo® Diesel Fuel Conditioner, Siloo® Transmission Kleen and Siloo® Gas Line Anti-Freeze.
In 1984 CRC acquired Kontakt Chemie®, a German electronics specialty chemical supplier. As they would do will all acquisitions, CRC retained the company's well-established trade name.
In 1993 CRC acquired Sta-Lube® and once again expanded its product range of specialty chemicals. Sta-Lube® is a manufacturer of specialty lubricants, greases and hand soaps.
Also in 1993, CRC acquired Siceront KF®. As the French market leader of specialty chemicals for the electrical, industrial and electronic markets, KF® has proven to be another winning addition to the CRC family.
In 1994 CRC acquired Seaclear, a New Zealand company with the Mendent brand name. Through this acquisition, CRC began to offer a range of polyester fillers for the automotive body repair market.
As the result of an acquisition in 1995, CRC Australia now offers a range of automotive car care products with the Repo® brand name.
CRC’s mission is to satisfy the needs of general maintenance and repair markets for high quality specialty chemical products. By satisfying customer needs, they seek to be viewed as the industry leader and will achieve levels of profitability and growth that place them consistently in the top tier of their competitive arena.
ISO 9001:2008 certified.