Chicago, Ill. — Over 530 power transmission and motion control industry representatives from nearly 230 PTDA member companies attended the PTDA 2013 Industry Summit. Along with an additional 160 spouses, companions, and guests, the top executives convened on October 3-5, 2013 at the J.W. Marriott Desert Springs in Palm Desert, Calif. and took a giant leap forward in their relationships and knowledge base.
“The PTDA Industry Summit offers a support net through its extensive networking opportunities,” said PTDA President Chris Bursack (ISC Companies, Inc., Plymouth, Minn.). He continues, “In my own experience, this year’s Industry Summit helped me efficiently resolve vendor issues and most likely gain a new product line—all facilitated by the networks I built through PTDA.” PTDA Manufacturer Council Chair Michael W. Dolpp (Thomson Industries, Amherst, N.Y.) concurs, stating “The opportunity that the Industry Summit provides by bringing together so many channel partners is unmatched. For someone like me, constantly on the road, seeing so many channel partners at once makes coming to the Industry Summit essential for my success.”
PTDA 2013 Industry Summit at a Glance
- Held October 3-5 at the J.W. Marriott Desert Springs, Palm Desert, Calif.
- Themed “Working Without a Net?”
- Outside of North America, international delegates attended from Argentina, Belgium, the Dominican Republic, France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, and the United Kingdom
Industry Summit Highlights
- Jeffrey Gitomer’s keynote, “Principles of Sales Greatness,” emphasized that power in a sales relationship flows from proving your value to customers beyond their doubt.
- In this year’s The Beaulieu Report, Alan Beaulieu of ITR Economics predicted moderate growth through the remainder of 2013, but noted that the second half of 2014 may see an additional downturn.
- Jonathan Bein’s workshop, “Marketing Strategy and Tactics for Uncertain Times,” drew a sharp focus on how segment leaders hold their share by implementing analytics to track sales and putting together plans to target their market’s “sweet spots.”
- In “The Market-Driven Sales Force,” Steve Deist of Indian River Consulting Group mapped out the new realities for the power transmission and motion control industry (PT/MC) in a world on the verge of revolutionary changes where technology has empowered customers to have greater control than ever before.
- Mel Kleiman of Humetrics presented the workshop, “Attract the Best, Repel the Rest: How to Create a Magnetic Culture,” urging employers to look at the person’s qualifications for the job rather than their appearance.
- In the workshop “Market Intelligence for the PT/MC Industry,” Thomas P. Gale of Industrial Market Information, Inc. and David Gordon of Channel Marketing Group informed attendees on how to use the business intelligence from the PTDA exclusive PT/MC Market Size Report to build an actionable plan strategic growth.
- At the Next Gen Roundtables, Pamela Kan of Bishop-Wisecarver Corporation showed PTDA’s Next Generation leaders how to make social media part of an overall integrated marketing strategy, with an expected return on investment and utilizing strong content.
- Distributors and manufacturers networked with their peer groups to share ideas, trends, problems and solutions during their unique forums.
- A charity walk organized by PTDA spouses and companions raised $1,900 for the Struthers Parkinson's Center of Golden Valley, Min.
- PTDA member companies pledged over $55,000 in contributions to the PTDA Foundation, supporting the work of the Industrial Careers Pathway®.
The Industry Summit’s signature event, the Manufacturer-Distributor Idea Exchange (MD-IDEX), each year efficiently brings together existing and potential channel partners to strategically plan for the upcoming year. Nearly 120 manufacturers exhibited at MD-IDEX in 2013, and the program featured well over 400 meetings through pre-scheduled appointments and open times.
Motion Control Showcase
The Industry Summit included a Motion Control Showcase, featuring 15 motion control suppliers presenting their latest hardware. The showcase is targeted at members considering expansion into the motion control arena, looking for additional suppliers to support current offerings or interested in networking with other market players.
PTDA Circus Carnivale
The closing event of the Industry Summit allowed delegates and their spouses/companions the chance to enjoy games on a carnival midway, ride a Ferris wheel and capture moments in a photo booth.
Looking to 2014
PTDA’s 2014 Industry Summit is scheduled for October 23-25, 2014 at the Hilton Bonnet Creek in Orlando, Fla.
About the PTDA Industry Summit
Attended by top-level decision-makers from leading distribution and manufacturing firms, the PTDA Industry Summit provides a unique mix of educational sessions on industry trends and offers distributor-manufacturer meetings and peer networking forums. It is designed to help distributors and manufacturers work together to move their companies and the industry forward. Keynote and education sessions help attendees grow their businesses and bottom lines by focusing on using existing capabilities and careful planning to tap into new markets and capture new opportunities.
The Power Transmission Distributors Association (PTDA) is the leading global association for the industrial power transmission/motion control (PT/MC) distribution channel. Headquartered in Chicago, PTDA represents 172 power transmission/motion control distribution firms that generate more than $16 billion in sales and span over 3,400 locations in 10 nations. PTDA members also include over 200 manufacturers and associated companies that supply the PT/MC industry. For over 50 years, PTDA has been dedicated to providing exceptional networking, targeted education, relevant information and leading-edge business tools to help distributors and manufacturers meet marketplace demands competitively and profitably. For more information, call +1.312.516.2100, visit www.ptda.org, follow us at @PTDAorg. and view PTDA photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/55690309@N06/sets/.