OTTAWA, Ontario — Amazon currently accounts for 1 in 3 shopping transactions in North America 1, but how many products does Amazon actually carry, and in what categories? Who are the top marketplace sellers? 360pi, a provider of price and product intelligence, has released a new infographic that provides data, analysis, and insight into Amazon’s product scope, category coverage, and assortment strategy, including reliance on marketplace sellers.
The results are fascinating, and highlights include the following:
With just over 12.2+ million products carried directly, Amazon continues to rely heavily on marketplace sellers to complete their endless shelf.
According to 360pi’s data, Amazon the seller carried 12,231,203 total products as of May 2016, excluding Books, Media, Wine, and Services. As well, product variants were not included in this analysis. When products available from marketplace sellers were included, the total number of products increased almost 30X to a total of 353,710,754 products offered by Amazon and its marketplace sellers combined (applying the same exclusions noted above).
What are the top 20 categories on Amazon.com? And which is growing fastest?
360pi’s research and infographic details the top 20 categories based on the number of products listed onAmazon’s U.S. site, including marketplace sellers (again, the same exclusions apply). Of the categories analyzed, the top five in terms of product count are:
- Cell Phones & Accessories: 82,039,731 products
- Home & Kitchen: 64,274,875 products
- Clothing, Shoes & Jewelry: 33,422,437 products (including categories for Men, Women, Girls, Boys and Baby)
- Electronics: 31,604,887 products
- Sports & Outdoors: 23,997,293 products
360pi also tracked year-over-year changes in product count in several categories of interest, detailing shifts in assortment strategies and overall category growth. For example, from May 2015 to May 2016, Amazonincreased its own product count in Clothing, Shoes & Jewelry by 83%, while marketplace sellers in this category also grew the number of products offered by 84% – confirming the reasons why Amazon is projected to soon surpass Macy’s as the #1 U.S. clothing retailer.
688,690 unique brands sell on Amazon Marketplace.
360pi’s latest research provides insight into the diversity and strength of Amazon Marketplace, which now accounts for 50% of all units sold globally through Amazon, according to Jeff Bezos in a recent earnings release. 2 Among the key findings:
- 688,690 unique brands sell on Amazon, and 4,490 brands have more than 5,000 listed products.
- There are 185,025 unique sellers on Amazon, and 7,729 of them list more than 5,000 products for sale.
- Home & Kitchen is an especially popular category, with 60% of the top Amazon marketplace sellers primarily focused on this category.